Thursday, February 4, 2016

Put your rocks outside...

My 2 year old with his morning hair and my starbucks cup with my plexus pink drink... a battle I didn't even give into. 

I was DONE! 

Literally... 30 minutes I had been arguing with my 2 year old, he had been kicking and screaming... received a few time-outs and a few spankings and he would NOT obey. He would NOT listen! I repeated myself again, because this was a battle I was not going to lose "David, put the gravel back outside and we will go read books!" By this time, I was not gently asking anymore. My 2 year old, who had found it was funny to make his mother mad continued to laugh and try to get away from cleaning up his mess. He would even throw a giant tantrum and start kicking me and screaming on his way to time out because... he himself did not want to give up this battle. Both his twin brothers were down from a nap which, as any other mothers know... if the older child wakes the younger child.... It would make for a "Wonderful" rest of the day. I asked again...

"David! Put the rocks outside... NOW!" 

While Mockingly laughs my 2 year old responds "Now!"

At this moment I did what any desperate mother would do, the scariest and most terrifying thing for a child to experience... I bent down. Got face to face and said 

"David.... Put. The. Rocks. Outside......... Now."

And.... BAM! It was like a switch went off... 

"Ya man!" which really means "Yes ma'am" triggered a change in my heart immediately! I bent down and helped him pick the rocks up, I gave him my hand to put them in until all of them were off the ground then handed him a few and we both took the rocks outside and put them back. And that was it. 

It was over. 

As I picked him up and gave him kisses and told him that I loved him, that I was proud of him for picking up the rocks I was gently reminded from my heavenly father of the rocks I carry in my life. #Convicting

The tantrums I throw.

The timeouts he puts me in.

The moments I mock his faithfulness and ask if he's forgotten about my dreams.

The moments I doubt his all knowing and infinite mind and the times I refuse to put my rocks back outside.

I've collected a few, a few rocks that I carry that I hold up to God and say "This is what I want!" As if he as ANY reason to give me any of my desires, as if I could bully him into giving me every dream I've ever had or allowing every dream to come true and lets be honest... I wouldn't be the woman I am today without surrendering these things to a God who loves me and continues to say "No. You are going to put those rocks back." 

NOT 

because he is a mean and heartless heavenly father but because he is a 

loving and kind 

father and he KNOWS that the rocks in my life mean so little compared to eternity with him. He knows he has better than these tiny rocks I hold onto. He knows the future and that it does NOT include these tiny rocks and he knows that some of those rocks will be brought back into my life later on when the time is right. Today, I am not only thankful that my 2 year old put the rocks outside but i'm thankful for the gentle reminder that I, myself need to put my rocks outside.

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11



No comments:

Post a Comment