Monday, February 1, 2016

Magnet Board DIY

MAGNET BOARD! 10 STEPS!

This project total cost around $60 for all the materials, but not only did my client get a magnet board but SO DID I!

Cost: $60
Hours: 2-4

SIDE NOTE: Most DIY Blogs don't account for the tools they have in their own garage, so below i've listed the items I already have on hand and did not need to purchase to do this project.

Supplies on Hand: Grinder ($50), Steel cutting wheel ($10), Minwax Espresso Stain ($8), Drill ($30-$75), Miter saw ($150-$300) Wood glue ($7), brackets ($4) Sand paper ($5), steal drill bit ($5-$25) AND Random Orbital sander ($30-$75)

I try to get my lumber from lumber yards but for this project we went to Lowes and simply made a family trip to get the materials... all 3 kids... and my hot husband.


One, When selecting lumber make sure to either lay it on the ground and walk on it to see if it has any twists or turns OR close one eye and look straight down it. For instance, this board has a bend to the left near the end. THIS PROCESS TYPICALLY TAKES THE LONGEST AT LOWES OR HOME DEPOT! 

1. LUMBER 4 - 1x3x6 @ $7.98 each



2.   STEEL SELECTION!

PURCHASED: 1 - 2'x4' @ $27 something



I totally didn't take pictures for this process, my bad! I just did a 0 degree cut for each, the long sides are 3.5' and the ends are 16" leaving the cap at 10" for the magnet part as requested by my client.

3. Make your cuts - hand sand edges as needed



Since we just moved and I literally can not find anything including my kreg jig (Starts at $20) I used brackets that I previously had to secure the corners after gluing them. Then I let them dry! (4-6 Hours for the best drying affect)


4. Glue and secure corners







Wood screws $6 - We use for the brackets and also connecting the steel later on, so remember these!



5. Cut Steel 

I used a right angle to make sure my line was straight before leaving the cutting to a pro




Then my brother in law (Aka the pro) came in to get the scary part done



6. Holes to attach steel to the frame

I used a white marker so it was more visible to see and made them anywhere from 4 inches to  6 inches apart to make sure it was super secure.



7. Drill holes in the steel

We used a 1/16" drill bit with engine oil to cut the holes in the steel for the screws, since we now had the steel cut in half we laid them on top of each other so they would have the same holes.



8. Measure

I measured and marked where the steel needed to sit on the wood to give a 10" magnet board in the middle, drew a line and laid the steel lining up with it.




9. Attach the steel

Using the wood screws we purchased I attached each and every drill hole into the wood, the steel isn't heavy but it definitely wasn't going anywhere.





BEFORE THE ESPRESSO STAIN

10. Add your stain of choice - Yes I removed the steel and stained the wood after sanding the entire frame with a 320, just until it was smooth and no wood glue residue was left.




AFTER THE ESPRESSO STAIN! 



I forgot to add the small hanging hardware I added to the back, they run about $2 and are great! Easy to hammer in and super useful.

Hope ya'll enjoyed, GO MAKE YOURSELF A MAGNET BOARD!

- Nicole




No comments:

Post a Comment